Friends! Happy New Year! A blog post from my business partner Ashley Darkenwald, Living Wellness, LLC
New Years is such a great time for renewal. This is the time we look back at the previous year’s trials and triumphs. We reflect on what’s happened and how we’ve changed as a result. It’s also the time to thoughtfully consider what we’d like to change in the new year.
It has been quite a year – perhaps one of the most difficult years of my life. But this last year has also been one of the most wonderfully-growing years of my life. I’m so grateful for my family and friends who have supported and loved me, even when I’ve stuck myself in a cave.
Dear friends, as you reflect on 2016 and look ahead to 2017, I want to empower you with seven health and wellness tips. Use these like a field guide as you navigate through 2017.
These tips come from my beautiful business partner, Ashley Darkenwald’s life experiences and from writing and refining our new book, Living Wellness for Growth Groups. Let’s jump into 2017. Let’s get shoulder to shoulder and share and support each other’s goals and resolutions for 2017.
I look forward to reading your comments below! What are your goals and resolutions for 2017?
Your Field Guide to Health and Wellness in 2017:
- Discover abundance! God desires us to live abundantly (John 10:10). Our philosophy at Living Wellness is that everyone’s body is created differently. We all need different things to nourish the mind, body, and spirit. Therefore, we’ve created a guide (Living Wellness for Growth Groups) rather than a diet plan or list of rules. Living Wellness for Growth Groups focuses on teaching individuals and small groups (growth groups) to listen to the signs and symptoms of the body and respond with health! This takes practice, but the work is worth the reward—abundant health!
- Trust God with your whole life (and health) rather than just trying to please God. Pleasing God is wonderful, but it should be a result of trusting him. Let go of control where you have a strangle-hold grip. And learn to give and receive forgiveness and grace.
- Talk to God about your issues and then listen for his guidance. Be honest! If you’re not ready to give something up or start a new routine, tell God. Be ready to give and receive with open arms. When we let go of our deep-seeded issues, we give God room to transform our hearts and minds.
- Discover your root “Why”.Whenever you make a goal, ask yourself “why” multiple times. “Think about a tree with deep roots underground. When we begin to answer self-examining questions, we often think of the first thing that pops into our minds. These are often surface answers. When we dig a little deeper, under the surface, we begin to find our roots, our motives behind our decisions. Your ideals about health started when you were very young. Why do you make the choices you do? What causes lasting change? Who is God calling you to be in this season?” (Living Wellness for Growth Groups, p. 15). Ask yourself tough questions when making important decisions and you will grow!
- Love yourself deeply—seek out the lies you believe and replace them with scriptural truths. See the picture in the “gallery” of Ashley’s blog for a list of ideas of where to start. http://www.ashleydarkenwald.com/lw-blog
- Simplify your life. Start with what’s in your heart and your mind. Be intentional about your thoughts. Meditate on the verse, “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable–if anything is excellent or praiseworthy–think about such things” (Philippians 4:8).
- Additionally, use positive self-talk: if you want to be a strong, healthy person, tell yourself that you ARE strong and healthy and then make a plan, get accountability, and start! You walk toward your thoughts every day.
- Nourish your spirit, mind, and body. Focus on nourishment, joy, peace.
Living Wellness for Growth Groups is available on Kickstarter.com right now! Please invest in your health this year and support our campaign by pre-ordering on Kickstarter TODAY!
Ashley R. Darkenwald & Dawn J. Brommer
You are worth more than mediocre. You are worth exceptional health!
© 2017 Living Wellness, LLC Seeking Jesus for freedom, balance, and abundant life